To start the adoption process, please click here for our downloadable Adoption Application, fill it out and send it back to the Office at email@example.com. You can also download a PDF version here, if you prefer. You can also drop by the Haven at 1412 S. 21st Street to fill one out in person.
After we review your Adoption Application, we will schedule a time to meet your best kitten matches with an Adoption Counselor. We use the application and interview to help us make the best match possible. This may include review by the Adoption Committee based on our policies, below.
Our kitten adoption fees are $125 per kitten. We always give priority to people who adopt siblings in pairs and offer the second kitten at a half off Buddy Discount to encourage that. We also offer a $15 rebate for each kitten with attendance at one of our Kitty Kindergarten classes.
We want to make both our adoptable pets AND our adopting families as happy as possible, so we may sometimes recommend another kitten besides the one you may have picked out online. But don’t worry! We will help you find a kitten who best matches what you are looking for so that you and your new furry companion can have a happily ever after!
Happy Cats Haven is a privately run, non-profit organization and reserves the right to refuse any adoption that is not in the best interest of the kitten, based on our principles and policies:
- DECLAWING: In support of happy, healthy cats, we do not place one of our kittens with someone who plans to declaw them. Declawing amputates each toe down the to first knuckle, mutilating the cat’s feet. We make every effort to observe what type of scratchers they prefer for the best chance of continuing that use at your home. Research shows that declawing can lead to other problems like inappropriate litter box use and health issues, ultimately damaging your cat–and your home–far more. Please see our fact sheet on declawing to make the best decision for both you, your furry friend and your furniture. If you feel you have no choice but to declaw your cat, we request you return him or her to us for a full refund so we can find a more appropriate home.
- INDOOR/OUTDOOR: We do not place one of our kittens to someone who has plans to let them live outdoors. Adopters must agree to keep the kitten primarily indoors. If the kitten grows into a confident catolescent who is a good candidate, we will be happy to provide information on how to train him or her to use a halter and leash for outdoor time. We also suggest making simple outdoor enclosures (catios) for your cat and can provide resources for that.
- TENANT AGREEMENTS: If you rent your home, you must provide a copy of the pet agreement clause of your rental lease and permission from your landlord PRIOR TO adopting any kitten from our shelter.
- KITTENS IN PAIRS: For kittens at or under the age of 4 months, we give preference to adopters who will adopt them in pairs unless you already have a young, compatible cat or dog at home, or if the guardian(s) is home for the summer, works from home or is retired.
- KITTENS & CHILDREN: We recommend an older kitten (at least 4-6 months) for children under approximately 6 years of age. The appropriate age will further depend on the personality and the needs of the kitten. Younger kittens are more fragile and can be accidentally injured by a small child. Also, young kittens have not learned yet to retract their claws and may accidentally injure a small child.
- LONG DISTANCE ADOPTIONS: We do not place kittens into a home that would require a travel distance of more than 4 hours drive by car or bus, and absolutely not into a home requiring transportation by plane or train.
- HOLDS: Provided the adoption application is approved, a hold of $50 may be placed on a kitten while an adoption decision is being made. This hold will be released in 7 days and is transferable – but not refundable.
- POPULAR CAT POLICY: If there are many people interested in adopting a specific kitten at the same time, the names of applicants who are qualified by the Adoption Committee will be entered into a random drawing. This provides all qualified adopters an equal opportunity to adopt the kitten of their choice.
Adopting a kitten is a 15-20 year commitment. Thank you for helping us follow these policies to make the best decisions both for our kittens and for you!